Preferred Rental Program
About the Program
The goal of program is to foster responsible landlord behavior and sound, well-managed rental housing in the city of Dayton and discourage activities that do harm to residents and neighborhoods. The Preferred Property Program will act as a “stamp of approval” or an indication that this property meets all safety, property and other requirements required by the City of Dayton.
- Each property must qualify separately (4 units or less)
- Enroll/complete a Property Manager’s Training Course offered by the City of Dayton or an equivalent course*
- Participate in a Property Safety Assessment through the Dayton Fire Department or equivalent*
- Schedule a Housing Inspection property assessment of the exterior of the property to ensure the property is clear of any housing violations and is structurally sound
* Equivalent must be approved by the City of Dayton
Benefits of the Program
- A free listing of their property on daytonohio.gov along and the “City of Dayton Preferred Property” Seal, and approval to use the electronic seal on property's website, to be used for marketing and collateral materials
- invitations to quarterly round table sessions with various City departments
- Have access to mediation services offered by the Dayton Mediation Center
- Complete landlord course
- Register property with Montgomery county rental registry
- Apply online with the below link
- Schedule assessments
- Property Managers must renew every 3 years from initial Preferred Property status and complete 6 hours of continuing education credits within a 3 year period
- Coming Soon!
Contact John Carter at (937) 333 - 3956 or John.Carter@daytonohio.gov.
The City of Dayton makes no representation or warranty about the safety, quality or habitability of the properties, and the City’s program does not include any structural inspections, inspections for hazardous building materials, including asbestos and/or lead paint, or other potential hazards or liabilities associated with the properties.